By default the SharePoint 2013 Content Database is set to Full recovery mode – despite reccomendations from MS that this should be set to simple, as outlined here; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678868(v=office.15).aspx
If unnoticed, you may find your Transaction Log volumes running short on disk space, as we did this morning, follow these steps to relieve storage pressure:
- Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the SQL Database Instance associated with your SharePoint farm
- Find the CONFIG database and right-click | Properties
- Under the options tree, change the recovery model to simple and click OK
- Again, right-click the CONFIG database | Tasks | Back Up – perform a backup of the CONFIG database
- Finally,right-click the CONFIG database | Tasks | Shrink | Files – select Log under the “File Type” drop-down
It may be worth reviewing your recover models in-line with the URL above, for us it was just the CONFIG database that wasn’t in-line with MS recommendations.